Chocolate sponge and pink custard – the recipe.
It is Chocolate week. As you can see from Mintcustard chocolate is an ingredient I almost regard as an essential. For my recipe to celebrate Chocolate week, I’ve returned to my roots and I’m sharing one of the most iconic school dinners recipes ever. Chocolate sponge and pink custard! If you want more school dinner recipes you can find them here, in my book, Good old fashioned school dinners.
3 large eggs – weighed
weight of eggs in butter
weight of eggs in caster sugar
weight of eggs in self raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp milk
Pink custard – one pack of pink blancmange mix
- Pre heat the oven to 160c.
- Line a 8″ by 12″ cake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it is pale and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, with a tbsp of flour after each egg to prevent curdling.
- Fold in the remaining flour.
- Add the cocoa and 2 tbsp milk to the mixture.
- Fill the cake tin with cake batter. Give the cake tin a tap to level the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Following the instructions on the pack make the pink blancmange but don’t put it in the fridge to set. This is your pink custard!
Cut the cake into rectangles, pour over the pink custard and indulge.