Sticky, spicy beef short rib bao buns
Sometime in early September when the sun was still shining I bought some beef short ribs and popped them in the freezer. Now the sun has vanished until late March slow cooked comfort food is back on the agenda at Mintcustard Mansions. I didn’t really fancy a big casserole by the time the ribs had defrosted but the ribs had to be eaten so a sweet and spicy beef stuffed into plump pillowy freshly steamed bao buns.
To make the bao buns I used this Good Food recipe. I used a quarter of the ingredients and it made 4 buns. They steamed well in my rice cooker/steamer.
Sticky, spicy beef short ribs – sufficient for 6 well filled bao buns.
3 large short ribs
1 large garlic clove grated
1 knuckle of ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 dsp mirin
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
4 dsp soft brown sugar
How to ……
- Preheat the oven to 150c.
- Gather the bun ingredients and begin to make them as you put the meat into the oven.
- Place all the ingredients except the ribs into a large tightly lidded casserole. I add a covering of foil under the lid as an extra seal.
- Add in the ribs. If you want to marinade the meat for up to 12 hours you can.
- Place in the oven and cook for 3 to 4 hours until the meat falls off the bone and can be easily shredded with two forks. You may need to check the meat every hour or so
- Shred the meat into small pieces and allow to cool in the juices. Once the fat has solidified remove and then reheat the meat just before serving.
- Serve in the warm steamed buns with a scattering of sesame seeds, a few strands of spring onions and pickled carrots or vegetables.
Ideal as a slightly different easy to share meal at Halloween or on Bonfire night.