Inauguration brownies – orange Reeces Pieces brownies
Watching the inauguration of the 45th US President I had a hankering for brownies. I put it down to the need to comfort eat having seen Trump sworn in and realizing that there was now no turning back.
Brownies cry out for added treats stirred into the batter before baking. What better than those quintessentially American candies Reeces Pieces? Joy of joy, they are coated in a yellow, orange or brown crisp shell. I had to pick out the orange ones, in Trump’s honour, to scatter on the finished dish, didn’t I. You know you would too. Had I been really thinking politically I’d have made Blondies…….
- 185g butter
- 185g chocolate
- 85g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 3 large egg
- 275g golden caster sugar
- 125g Reeces pieces (orange ones set to one side)
- Preheat the oven to 160c (fan) 180c (conventional)
- Line a 20 cm square pan with parchment.
- Heat a small pan of water over a low heat. Place a bowl over the hot water and tip in the butter and chocolate. Allow to melt slowly. Stir .until completely melted. Set to one side to cool a little.
- In a large bowl measure in the sugar and break in the eggs. Beat together until the egg and sugar mixture is doubled in size, pale and foamy. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula stir the cooled butter and chocolate mixture into the foamy eggs and sugar. Work carefully as you don’t want to knock out the air you have beaten in.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa onto this mixture and then fold in, again using the spatula or a metal spoon.
- Take a handful of the orange Reeces Pieces and keep for later. Stir the chocolates in.
- Scrape the batter into the lined pan. Bake for 30 minutes, place the remaining Reeces Pieces on top of the part baked brownie. Gently push them into the surface but don’t submerge them. Return to the oven for a further 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cool a little, enjoy with cream or creme fraiche.