Fudge topped mocha marble loaf.
Fudge topped mocha marble loaf
2 eggs weighed
same weight of flour
same weight of butter
same weight of self raising flour
same weight of caster sugar
1/2 shot of espresso – cooled
1 tbsp cocoa in 2 tbsp warm water
50 g butter
1/2 shot espresso
200 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Line a 450g or 1 lb tin with a loaf tin liner or parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. If the mixture splits add in a tbsp of the flour at this point.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into two.Stir in the espresso to one half and the cocoa mixture to the other.
- Place alternate spoons of mixture in the tin, swirl together with a skewer and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake has shrunk away from the sides of the tin.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Make the icing.
- Melt the butter in saucepan with the 1/2 shot of espresso and remove from the heat.
- Beat in the icing sugar a little at a time to prevent lumps and until the icing reaches a thick fudgy but pour-able consistency. Depending on the temperature in the kitchen this may take a little more icing sugar or a little less.
- Smooth onto the cooled cake, mark the lines using the tines of your fork.
- Try a test piece with a cup of tea. Fill up your cake tin with the rest.