National Barbecue Week – beetroot felafel burgers.
Eating well is all about variety. I try hard to make sure my diet is as varied as it can possibly be. I’m a true omnivore. I do eat meat, I enjoy a vegetarian or a vegan meal very regularly. Balance, that’s the key for me.
One of my favourite summer activities is to have a barbecue. I have teamed up with Chippa with their range of gluten free condiments to celebrate National Barbecue Week (May 30th to June 5th 2016). Sadly the weather in South London hasn’t been very conducive to lighting a barbecue this week, but today I succeeded. Finally.
As the Chippa condiments ( Sweet chilli sauce, brown sauce, Tomato ketchup, Worcester sauce and Plain May -O) are all gluten free my aim was to cook a dish that would do them justice and be gluten free too.
Beetroot felafel burgers
200g tinned chickpeas – rinsed
200g beetroot rice or 200g cooked beetroot grated
zest of 1 lime
1 chilli finely chopped
1 clove of garlic grated
salt and pepper
1 tbsp buckwheat flour (or other gluten free flour)
1 tbsp oil
- Heat your BBQ to a medium heat.
- Using the flat plate of your barbecue or place a double thickness piece of foil on the barbecue.
- Place the chickpeas in a large jug and blitz until smooth using a stick blender.
- Stir in the beetroot, lime zest, chopped chilli, grated garlic and the flour.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions.
- Oil your hands and shape the portions into burger patties.
- Place on the flat plate or foil and cook slowly (about 10 minutes on each side).
- Serve in lettuce wraps or gluten free burger buns.
- A squirt or two of Chippa May-O and Gluten free sweet chilli sauce.
I was sent a selection of different Chippa gluten free sauces to try. I was not asked to give positive review or create a recipe and nor did I get any payment. The recipe and photographs are my own.