Leek and potato soup, using home made turkey stock.
After eating a Christmas dinner with the full works of trimmings my family look forward to the turkey dinner sandwiches they will have on Boxing day. I’m happy to eat leftovers sandwiches but I could live without them. Me? I look forward to stripping the turkey carcass and making a vat of stock. I love to use the stock in the time between Christmas and New Year to make soup, in an effort to try and undo some of the Holiday excesses. To make your stock I have a recipe on Mintcustard. It uses a chicken carcass but the principle is the same.
Today the soupe du jour was leek and potato.
Leek and potato soup
700 ml home made stock (bouillon is fine if you don’t have stock)
2 leeks, finely chopped
1 shallot or half a small onion finely chopped
1 large floury potato, diced finely
1 knob of butter
salt and pepper to season
- Chop the leeks and onion finely and saute in the butter over a medium heat until softened.
- Add in the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Tip in the potatoes and cook until soft.
- Taste and season.
- Blitz with a stick blender if you prefer a smooth soup.
- If you are not trying to lighten your cooking a dash of cream just before serving and gently warmed through is a treat but not a necessity.