I have said many times in the past that I am not, and don’t ever envisage becoming, a vegetarian. However I do often cook meals without meat. I am trying hard to lose some weight and lower my blood pressure, eating leaner and cleaner is helping. Quorn is lower in fats and calories so is ideal as a #fattofitter recipe ingredient. As it acts a a flavour sponge Quorn readily takes up marinades and bastes so beloved of the barbecue chef.
The recipes posted here were created by Quorn for a recent barbecue event I attended at The London Barbecue School.
QUORN MEAT FREE SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLE STICKY SKEWERS
Sticky Skewered Quorn Sausages, are perfect for when the sun comes out and packed with flavour.
Serves 3 | 15 mins cooking time | 243 cals per serving | 1.1g sat fat per serving
- 250g pack Quorn sausages – use your favourite flavour, if using frozen allow to defrost thoroughly.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 rounded tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunky dice
- cherry tomatoes
- skewer sticks – soak wooden sticks in water for a few minutes before grilling or barbecuing to prevent burning
1. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and mango chutney together in a bowl. Coat the sausages with the glaze, cut into bite sized pieces.
2. Thread the onions, onto the skewers or kebab sticks alternating with the Quorn sausage, peppers and tomatoes.
3. Place the skewers onto a barbecue and cook turning frequently until vegetables are cooked and sausages are piping hot throughout, brushing with any remaining glaze.
4. They are equally good roasted in the oven 200C, Gas Mark 6 for 10-12 minutes.
QUORN MEAT FREE SWEDISH STYLE MEATBALLS KEBABS
Instead of reaching for a beef kebab that can be high in fat, give our succulent Quorn Meat Free Swedish or Italian meatballs versions a try. Ready in just 10-15 minutes.
Serves 4 – 6 | 10 – 15 mins cooking time | 253 cals per serving | 5.3g sat fat per serving
Quorn Swedish style meatball kebabs.
- 1x 300g pack Quorn Meat Free Swedish Style Balls
- 3 tbsp vegetarian red pesto
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 2 tsps sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 142 ml carton of Greek style yoghurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- 1 green or yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 6 cherry tomatoes and 6 button mushrooms
- kebab sticks – if using wooden kebab sticks soak in water for about 15 minutes before using.
1. Place the vegetarian pesto, tomato puree, 2 crushed garlic cloves, sugar and seasoning in a mixing bowl. Add the Quorn balls and mix thoroughly to coat the balls evenly. Cover and leave in the refrigerator until required.
2. Make the dip by mixing together the Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, parsley, the remaining crushed garlic clove and seasoning. Cover and chill until required.
3. Cut the peppers into 2.5cm pieces and the onion into similar sized chunks.
4. Thread the peppers onto the skewers or kebab sticks alternating with the Quorn balls, onion, mushroom and tomatoes using 3 or 4 balls on each kebab.
5. Line a grill pan with oiled foil, place the kebabs onto the foil and grill for 10-15 minutes on a moderate heat turning regularly and brushing with any remaining marinade or oil if required.
Also good on the BBQ – cook for a few minutes*, adjust rack height if necessary to avoid burning the marinade.
*BBQ cooking time is a guideline only
QUORN MEAT FREE CHILLI BURGERS WITH CHIPOTLE SALSA
If you like your burger recipes to pack a punch, try our Quorn Meat Free Chilli burger recipe with chipotle salsa for added oomph.
Serves 2 | 10 mins cooking time Z 426 cals per serv
ing | 5.3g sat fat per serving
Quorn chilli burgers with a chipotle salsa.
FOR THE BURGER
- 2 Quorn Chef’s Selection Classic Burgers
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 ciabatta roll
- Handful of pea shoots
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced red jalapeno peppers
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g sweetcorn
- 1 tsp chipotle paste, or to taste
- 1 tsp fresh coriander, chopped
1. For the chipotle salsa heat the oil in a pan and cook the sweetcorn for 2 – 3 minutes or until jusstarting to brown, stir in the chipotle paste. Cool then stir in the coriander and tip into a serving dish.
2. Lightly brush the burgers with a tsp of the oil and grill or BBQ for 8 – 10 minutes (as per back of pack instructions), turning frequently.
3. Meanwhile, slice the ciabatta in half horizontally; brush the cut side with remaining oil and place under a hot grill or on the BBQ to toast.
4. Place the pea shoots on the base of the bread, top with the Quorn burger and add some slicesof red onion. Finish with jalapeno peppers before seasoning with freshly ground pepper.
5. Serve with the corn chipotle salsa.
I was invited to the Quorn barbecue event, I was not paid to attend and have not been asked to give a positive review of the food or the evening. All photographs and opinions are my own. The recipes have been sent to me by Quorn UK and are their copyright.