Chilli sweetcorn fritters.
If you happen to becoming along with me on my journey from fat to fitter then pull up your chair. On the weight loss and exercise front I’m doing well. I have lost about 3 kg so far or about about half a stone. I do realise most of that is water but the numbers are travelling in the right direction. I’m enjoying my food and can honestly say somedays I eat far more than I used to. The crunch will come tomorrowwhen I’m back at work. I’m determined to make time to eat properly. Schools are never good places to do this, so much to do and such a short time frame to work within. I’m taking hummus, rice cakes and some fruit. I’ll take a couple of snacks for break and after school.
The blood pressure isn’t coming down as fast as it should but the headaches are gone so changes are afoot I hope.
As I said before I’m not into demonising any foods, I’m just being very strict about getting a balance between what I can eats lots of and those foods that I need to be wary of. I’m baking brownies as I type but I’m only having a very small piece. Spices and pickles jazz up any dish. The tastier a dish is, the slower I need to consume it. I find I savour the flavours more.
Adding chilli to my sweetcorn fritters did just this yesterday. I made these as a starter for a barbecue yesterday. I served them with a low fat sour cream dip.
Chilli sweetcorn fritters
1 large (325g) can of naturally sweet corn, drained
1 large egg
3 heaped tbsp plain flour,
1 green chilli chopped or a big pinch of chilli flakes
milk to slacken
oil to fry
- Place the corn into a big bowl. Stir in the chilli and salt.
- Beat the egg and stir into the corn.
- Sprinkle over the flour and combine well.
- Add enough milk to slacken the mixture. You want a dropping consistency.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil to a medium heat. Drop in spoons of the mixture and cook gently until crips and golden. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander, chilli and sour cream to dip.