Sweet potato chilli cheese fries.
A quick easy meal that pleases the masses is always a winner. Chips or pasta are sure fire successes but as a parent they tend to be the meals you cook least and also insist are accompanied by green food or a salad!
Sweet potato chilli cheese fries are actually not that bad considering. The sweet potato fries are baked in the oven, the chilli is made from the remains of a roast beef joint and the cheese is a scattering of grated cheese and not a gloopy cheese sauce.
Ingredients for the fries
1 large sweet potato per person. (orange fleshed ones look and taste best according to the teens in this house)
- Pre heat the oven to 220c
- Line the baking tray with parchment to stop the sweet potatoes from sticking.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into fingers.
- Drizzle a little oil onto the parchment lined baking tray, sprinkle the oil with salt and paprika.
- Tip over the sweet potato fries and toss in the oil and paprika.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn the chips so that they brown evenly.
Top with chilli.
end of beef roast chopped finely
half an onion chopped finely
clove of garlic crushed
dregs from a carton of passata, (about 200 ml) or a big dollop of tomato puree)
stock or left over gravy from the roast
1 green chilli finely chopped
big pinch dried chilli flakes
- Soften the onion and garlic in a large pan.
- Add in the beef and stir well.
- Pour in the passata and stock or puree and stock.
- Add in half the chopped chilli and simmer until the liquid is reduced.
- Stir in the remaining chopped chilli and chilli flakes.
Put the fires into a bowl or on a big plate. Top the sweet potato fries with the the chilli. Add sour cream, salsa, guacamole and grated cheese. This can be made into individual portions or one big platter for sharing. Always serve this with ice cold beer!