Roasted mediterranean vegetable sausage rolls. #loveyourfreezer
Much as I love a proper school dinner, I often am too busy to get to the dinner hall to eat one. Lunch has to be portable, filling and preferably something I eat with one hand whilst marking with the other. I have had enough of sandwiches, cup a soups and crackers. Then I spotted a couple of lone sausages in the freezer and the sausage roll was born. Using a few of Sainsburys frozen chargrilled mediterranean vegetables to add another texture and a deeper flavour my lunches this week have been saved. I made my own pastry but you could of course buy ready made.
Roasted mediterranean vegetable sausage rolls.
I quantity pastry – made with 200g flour and 100g butter
2 shallots or 1 small onion chopped
1 cup Sainsburys frozen chargrilled mediterranean vegetables.
1 tsp oil
1 egg – beaten for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan. Tip in the chopped shallot or onion and the vegetable mix. Cook gently unitl defrosted and heated through. Chop and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle.
- Squeeze the sausagemeat out of the sausage and place along one side of the pastry.
- Top the sausagemeat with the vegetables. Run a line of egg wash along the pastry. Fold the pastry over and sea with the tines of a fork.
- Make slits in the pastry top to allow the steam to escape and egg wash.
- Place on a parchment lined tray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Eat hot or cold.
I was not asked by Sainsburys to give a positive review of their frozen products but I was given vouchers to cover the cost of ingredients.