Crisp sugar biscuits, ideal for use with cookie cutters.
My name is Becky, and I have a problem with cookie cutters. I know I have confessed this in the past in my Cheesy Hammy Dodgers post. I have a whole drawer full of the things. In my house there are everyday cookie cutters (shapes, letters, numbers etc) and then there are seasonal ones, (Easter, Xmas and Halloween). This causes me a pre issues. As I have so many of the damn things I sometimes forget about certain cutters until it is too late and then I have to wait a whole year before I can forget to use them again!
This doesn’t happen with my Halloween cutters. I love them so much that I’m itching to use them from the start of October.
As you can imagine, with this many cookie cuttersI have also been able to perfect a foolproof cookie recipe that cuts cleanly, snaps when bitten into and holds an image stamped into it too.
Chocolate sugar biscuits.
100g soft butter
25g caster sugar
25g soft brown sugar
125g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 160c
- Beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Work in the flour, first with a wooden spoon and then with your hands.
- Knead together until the dough becomes uniform and pliable.
- Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Lightly dust a worksurface with flour. Roll out the dough to the thickness of a pound coin. Using your favourite cookie cutters cut out shapes of your choice. Press in any decoration now.
- Place on a baking tray and pop into the fridge for 10 minutes to set up a little before baking. This makes the imprint and edges stay sharp when baked.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until just beginning to darken slightly.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Ice and decorate as you wish. Store in a tin.
Does anyone else have a cookie cutter drawer? Which recipe do you use for your cut out cookies and biscuits?