I was recently very kindly sent a pack of speculaas spices by The Speculaas Spice company. I love the flavour that Speculaas spices imparts. I fell in love with the taste as a young teenager visiting coffee shops with friends and feeling chuffed to bits when we were given a free biccie with our coffees. Now of course I buy those biscuits and also the biscuit spreads too.
What to do with these spices? As it was morning and I was about to pop a crumpet into the toaster I suddenly thought why not get the waffle maker out of the cupboard and experiment.
125g plain flour
1/2 tsp speculaas spice mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
10g caster sugar
1 tbsp oil
pinch of salt
- sift the flour, salt, spices and baking powder into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the ingredients. Break in the egg, pour in the milk and oil.
- Whisk together until just combined. Don’t be too fierce as the waffles will be heavy.
- Heat your waffle maker or iron.
- Bake waffles according to the makers instructions.
Serve with a little icing sugar and a dab of butter if you wish.
The spice mix lends a real warmth to the waffles and they are truly delicious.
I was sent the spice mix by The Speculaas company as a free sample and was not asked to write a recipe of give positive comments in exchange.