Sparkling very berry jelly
Today a trip to the doctors has made me feel very old indeed. No I wasn’t seen by a latter day Doogie Howser MD (one for the teenagers!) I have the beginnings of arthritis so I wanted to make something to cheer me up and return me to my youth.
Jelly! Home made jelly and cream, not what the doctor ordered exactly but what I’ve decided to self medicate with.
Now being the time for elderflower and berries that was exactly what I made.
2 pints elderflower presse or similar
assorted soft fruit. I used strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
10 sheets of leaf gelatin (5 per half pint for a firm set)
How to ….
- Place the fruit into a large serving bowl.
- Fill a shallow bowl with cold water and place in the gelatin leaves. Allow to soak until soft and pliable (about 5 minutes).
- In a small pan warm a little of the elderflower presse. Squeeze the water from the gelatin leaves and place into the warm liquid. Stir off the heat until completely dissolved.
- Add in the remaining elderflower presse, stir to combine the gelatin and then pour carefully over the berries in the bowl.
- Allow to cool and the refridgerate until set.
- Serve with softly whipped cream, or a very good vanilla ice cream.
Eat, enjoy and return to your youth.