One pot chipotle chilli chicken.
This weekend’s Cinco de mayo celebrations made me think of all the Mexican flavours we can now buy simply when taking a walk along a fairly typical British high street. Not so long ago the only way to get many of those ingredients would be to pack an extra bag when visiting the USA, to be fair I still do this but I no longer need to bring back Mexican foods!
For us this chipotle chili chicken is a midweek one pot dish. Quick, tasty, frugal and filling, a substantial meal.
Chipotle Chilli Chicken
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs, skinned, boned and cut into strips.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 small pepper, sliced
- 6 to 8 tomatoes peeled and deseeded
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 500 ml chicken stock
- two handfuls of rice
- 1 tbsp oil
To serve, soured cream, sliced olives,cornbread and lime wedges.
How to …
- brown the onions in the oil in a large saucepan until soft and golden, add in the garlic and cook until soft.
- Add in the chicken and allow to seal on all sides.
- Stir in the chipotle paste, tomatoes and pepper strips. Cover with stock. Allow to cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- After 20 minutes, tip in the rice and cook uncovered for a further 15 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent the rice catxhing on the pan.
- Serve in a big bowl.Top with soured cream, olives, a lime wedge and a hunk of cornbread.